Progress Made in Recycling Rates and Technological Advances;
Industry Faces Challenges in 2020 from COVID-19 and Economic Recession
- More than $2 million was paid in VPS subsidies in 2019.
- Total gross U.S. collections were 335 million pounds, up from 281 million pounds in 2018.
- 98% of the post-consumer carpet collected was processed in the United States.
- 82.1 million pounds of post-consumer carpet was collected before it could go to landfill.
- 58 million pounds of recycled output was produced (up 18% from the 49.3 million pounds recycled in 2018).
- The overall 2019 California recycling rate was 19.1%, up 25% versus 2018.