Welcome to the CARE website. The Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, serving as the legislatively designated Carpet Stewardship Organization (CSO) for the California Carpet Stewardship Program. The purpose of the law (AB 2398) is to increase the diversion and recycling of carpet in the state of California. Learn more.
We encourage you to join our email list to receive updates on the California Carpet Stewardship Program and resources for retailers.
On this page:
Carpet Stewardship Assessment Increased to $0.25 per square yard on January 1, 2017.
- A set of incentives for processors and collectors involved in the recycling of post-consumer carpet.
- A new grant program to facilitate capital investment in new/expanded processing capacity and also product development and testing. CARE has awarded $2 million in grants in 2016.
- Recycled carpet product procurement grants, totaling $500,000 are being offered this year.
- Growing the drop-off site program to establishing at least one carpet drop-off site in every county in California by July 2017.
All of these efforts are critical to growing market outlets and increasing diversion from landfill, as mandated by AB 2398.
As a result of these actions, CARE is seeing a steady increase in recycled pounds and expects dramatic growth in payouts beginning in 2017. To meet financial obligations to make these payouts, it is necessary to collect additional funds through the assessment.
CARE was pre-approved to implement this increase if deemed necessary, as approved by CalRecycle on January 26, 2016.
For details on how to calculate and label the assessment, along with sample invoices, click here (updated to reflect January 2017 assessment increase.)
All California retailers were sent an official letter from CARE informing them of the change.
To view a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Retailers, click: Retailer FAQ – October 2016.
Assessment Increase Notification Letter for Retailers, click: Retailer Letter – October 2016.
Press release Announcing Assessment Increase, click: Jan 2017 Assessment Increase Announcement
Point-of-Sale Sign to inform customers of Assessment,
Click: POS Assessment Sign
Point-of-Sale Sign to encourage customers to think about recycling,
Click: POS Consumer Advice Sign
CARE hosted an informational webinar about the assessment for retailers and other interested stakeholders on Wednesday, November 16, 2016.
The California Program is working to comply with all statutory and regulatory requirements, which include:
- Payment of subsidies at a level to enable continuous and meaningful improvement in landfill diversion via carpet collections and recycling (recycled output)
- Public outreach and education
- Convenient locations for recycling drop off/pick up for all California residents.
In 2015, over 85% of assessment funds went directly to these program efforts, including subsidies, grants, marketing/outreach and the drop-off site program. As our efforts grow, so does the need for funding.
CARE has created a brochure to explain carpet recycling and the California assessment to your customers. View it here.
Please complete the form below to request free copies of the brochure: