Welcome to the CARE website. The Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, serving as the legislatively designated Carpet Stewardship Organization (CSO) for the California Carpet Stewardship Program. The purpose of the law (AB 2398) is to increase the diversion and recycling of carpet in the state of California. Learn more.
We encourage you to join our email list to receive updates on the California Carpet Stewardship Program and resources for retailers.
On this page:
Carpet Stewardship Assessment Increases to $0.35 per square yard on January 1, 2019.
Effective January 1, 2019, all carpet sold and/or shipped in California is required to be assessed at $0.35 per square yard (from the current $0.25) at the point of sale. This consumer pass-through assessment is an increase from the current $0.25 per square yard.
The funding collected from the assessment is directed to:
- A set of incentives for processors and collectors involved in the recycling of post-consumer carpet.
- A grant program to facilitate capital investment in new/expanded processing capacity and also product development and testing. CARE has awarded $2 million in grants in 2016.
- Recycled carpet product procurement grants, totaling $500,000 were offered in 2017.
- Growing the drop-off site program to establishing at least one carpet drop-off site in every county in California.
All of these efforts are critical to growing market outlets and increasing diversion from landfill, as mandated by AB 2398.
As a result of these actions, CARE is seeing a steady increase in recycled pounds and expects dramatic growth in payouts beginning in 2017. To meet financial obligations to make these payouts, it is necessary to collect additional funds through the assessment.
For details on how to calculate and label the assessment, along with sample invoice, click here (updated to reflect January 2019 assessment increase).
To view a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Retailers, click: CARE Retailer FAQ (Oct 2018)
Assessment Increase Notification Letter for Retailers, click: CARE Assessment Retailer Letter.
For an update on CARE’s activities in 2017, click: CARE EOY 2017 Letter to Retailers
Press release Announcing Assessment Increase, click: Jan 2019 Assessment Increase Announcement
Point-of-Sale Sign to inform customers of Assessment,
Click: Point-of-Sale sign
Point-of-Sale Sign to encourage customers to think about recycling,
Click: POS Consumer Advice Sign
The California Program is working to comply with all statutory and regulatory requirements, which include:
- Payment of subsidies at a level to enable continuous and meaningful improvement in landfill diversion via carpet collections and recycling (recycled output)
- Public outreach and education
- Convenient locations for recycling drop off/pick up for all California residents.
In 2017, over 85% of assessment funds went directly to these program efforts, including subsidies, grants, marketing/outreach and the drop-off site program. As our efforts grow, so does the need for funding.
Now available! Point of sale brochures free to California retailers.
CARE offers a brochure to explain carpet recycling and the California assessment to your customers. View it here.
Please complete the form below to request free copies of the brochure: