Welcome to the CARE website. The Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, serving as the legislatively designated Carpet Stewardship Organization (CSO) for the California Carpet Stewardship Program. The purpose of the law (AB 2398) is to increase the diversion and recycling of carpet in the state of California. Learn more.
We encourage you to join our email list to receive updates on the California Carpet Stewardship Program and resources for retailers.
On this page:
Carpet Stewardship Assessment Is $0.35 per square yard as of January 1, 2019.
Effective January 1, 2019, all carpet and carpet tile sold and/or shipped in California is required to be assessed at $0.35 per square yard at the point of sale.
Compliance: Retailers are required by law to charge the current carpet assessment to all customers in the state. CalRecycle periodically visits retailers to check current practices. To ensure compliance:
- All invoices must have the assessment clearly and correctly labeled as a separate line item.
- Retailers must purchase carpet from carpet manufacturers in compliance with the carpet stewardship law. See the list on the CalRecycle website here. (LINK)
- Retailers must retain records for three fiscal years.
The funding collected from the assessment is directed to:
- A set of incentives for processors and collectors involved in the recycling of post-consumer carpet.
- A grant program to facilitate capital investment in new/expanded processing capacity, along with funding product development and testing and collection. In just its first two cycles, the CARE grants program awarded $5.9 million to 26 organizations.
- Growing the drop-off site program to establishing at least one carpet drop-off site in every county in California.
All of these efforts are critical to growing market outlets and increasing diversion from landfill, as mandated by AB 2398.
As a result of these actions, CARE is seeing a steady increase in recycled pounds and dramatic growth in payouts.
For details on how to calculate and label the assessment, along with sample invoice, click here (updated to reflect January 2019 assessment increase).
To view a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Retailers, click: CARE Retailer FAQ (Oct 2018)
Assessment Increase Notification Letter for Retailers, click: CARE Assessment Retailer Letter.
Press release Announcing Assessment Increase, click: Jan 2019 Assessment Increase Announcement
Point-of-Sale Sign to inform customers of Assessment,
Click: Point-of-Sale sign
Point-of-Sale Sign to encourage customers to think about recycling,
Click: POS Consumer Advice Sign
How Is the Assessment Used?
CARE California Program 2020 Budget
The California Program is working to comply with all statutory and regulatory requirements, which include:
- Payment of subsidies at a level to enable continuous and meaningful improvement in landfill diversion via carpet collections and recycling (recycled output)
- Public outreach and education
- Convenient locations for recycling drop off/pick up for all California residents.
In 2020, 91% of assessment funds went directly to these program efforts, including subsidies, grants, marketing/outreach and the drop-off site program.
CARE has created a brochure to explain carpet recycling and the California assessment to your customers. View it here.
Please complete the form below to request free copies of the brochure: